Thursday, January 14, 2016

Day Fourteen 01/14/16 Thirty Paintings in 30 Days Challenge

Today's painting is a still life set up I did in my home studio. The first time I ever experienced an artist painting from a set up was at a workshop several years ago in Panama City Beach, Florida with Jo Ann Williams Walker.  She had some beautiful flowers in a large vase, some fruit, a bird's nest, other vases, a blue plate and of course a light. She asked that we all bring our lights. I had to go buy one as I never knew this was one of "the supplies" I should have been using.
She took special effort to arrange "the set up" and then positioned the light and said "let's begin."  I had no idea what I was suppose "to see".  I never knew the importance of light and shadow until she showed us. 
During this workshop she took us all to her private studio.  She showed us all the books she had collected over the years and all her paintings from her favorite artists and ones she was working on for galleries. I felt like we were in a magic place. I was in awe. So inspired. Some of my favorite items were the unique vases and florals she had collected to use in her set ups.  She told us that night to start our own collection and never pass up an interesting vase.
It has taken years for me to be comfortable doing a set up. But I have now done three or four and I know what I see, I know to see the shadows, to see where the light shines, to see the shapes. I am learning. And I have taken Jo Ann's advice, I now have my own collection of vases and florals that I cherish. Thanks Jo Ann for being such an inspiration to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment