Friday, January 13, 2017

Day Thirteen 01/13/17 "Thirty Paintings in 30 Days"

Today is Friday the 13th and there is a full moon out!  Just saying!!

Today's color for the Color Chart Project is Rembrandt's Ultramarine Blue Deep.  I picked this color mainly because of Richard Schmid.  He used it in his color charts.  I usually use other brands of Ultramarine Blue and I had never used the "Deep" version.  But when I did my little homemade study in choosing what to include in this project, I purchased this color and tested it alongside all my other regular Ultramarine Blues and it won the test!! So now this will be my brand of a warm ultramarine blue.

This is a transparent color with a vivid dark strong blue hue. It has excellent tinting strength.  Because of its red bias, it is a warm blue. It has a value of 2 on the value scale where 10 is white.  In mixing with my other colors, it made beautiful violets, blues, grays and greens.
The pigment or Color Index (C.I.) is PB29.  It is a Series 2, so it is about $12-20 for a 40ml tube.  It is 3 plus in terms of lightfastness, which  means it is a pigment that can withstand prolonged exposure to light.  (I was unable to find its Permanence Rating.)

In doing today's charts, I took the Ultramarine Blue-Deep (UMB-D) and placed it by itself in the first top square.  I then tinted it by adding Titanium White for 4 additional values below this top square.
Next, in the second column, I mixed my Ultramarine Blue-Deep (UMB-D) with all my other individual colors in a ratio of 75% UMB-D and 25% of the next color, like Cobalt Blue-Light (CB-L).  I then added white to this mixture for 4 additional values.  I did this with all my 21 colors.

I hope you are enjoying my project as much as I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment