Monday, January 23, 2017

Day Twenty Three 01/23/17 "Thirty Paintings in 30 Days"

Today's color for the Color Chart Project is Gamblin's Portland Cool Grey.  It contains the following pigments:  PBk11 Mars Black, PW6 Titanium White and PB29 Ultramarine Blue.
It is opaque with a value of approximately 5 and is a cool grey.  It is blue-grey in color and is excellent for reducing the chroma of violets, blues, and greens.  It is permanent and is a Series 2 paint which is affordable.

In doing today's charts, I took the Portland Cool Grey (PCG) and placed it by itself in the first top square.  I then tinted it with Titanium White for 4 additional values below this top square.
Next, in the second column, I mixed the PCG with all my other individual colors in a ratio of 75% PCG and 25% of the next color, like Cadmium  Lemon (CL).  I then added White to this mixture for 4 additional values.  I did this with all my 21 colors.




I have finally completed my Color Chart Project!!!

This project has been long overdue for me.  I should have done this 4 years ago when it was first recommended to me by my instructor Jo Ann Williams Walker.  I would have been so far ahead of the game.  Oh well, I can't look back, but I can encourage all of you who are struggling with color mixing to go ahead and DO THE CHARTS!!!

I listened to a podcast yesterday of Eric Rhoads interviewing Stephanie Birdsall.  She was a student and is a friend of Richard Schmid.  She did the charts when he recommended them and she encourages all her workshop participates to do them and bring them to all her workshops.  She says she travels all over the world to paint and she always brings her charts with her.  She said Richard Schmid still advises her to look at her charts if she asks him a color question.

I plan on allowing these charts to completely dry and then having them professionally photographed and then minimized so I can easily have them when I travel.  They contain very valuable information that I will use for years.  I plan on trying to slowly eliminate 11 colors so I can get my palette to fit on one chart board.  This will be difficult.

Or I could try to talk Randall at Color Frontier to make charts that have more spaces!!!! Now that's a plan!! Randall I will be calling you!! (By the way, he is awesome to work with!)

No comments:

Post a Comment