Monday, January 30, 2017

Day Thirty 01/30/17 "Thirty Paintings in 30 Days"

Well today is Day 30 of this 30 in 30 challenge I took on,  and I made it!!!

I have hesitated each time to sign up for this challenge because it is so time consuming.  It requires not only painting, but photographing and editing of my painting, writing in my blog, posting on Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 blog, posting on FB and on Instagram.  That is a lot of computer work for me!  But each time I have done this, I find this challenge more and more rewarding for ME!  I learn so much about all of the above.  My writing skills have improved, my photographing takes less editing, I am learning more about Social Media and it sure never hurts to paint everyday!!

So just maybe I will be back to do the next 30 in 30 this Fall.  It sure helps if you have a theme or a project in mind. This time I focused on doing those Color Charts and now they are complete.  I feel such a sense of accomplishment in getting those done.  I love referring to them when I am needing to mix a certain color or color combinations and also when looking for harmony in my paintings.

Today's painting post will be the 5th and last painting I did at Gina Brown's Workshop in Columbus, Ga.  I arranged my hydrangeas in a glass vase and borrowed a pink flower from Edna Garrett and came up with a nice set up.  I had a couple of hours before the workshop was over, so I decided to practice what Gina had taught us before leaving.  I first did a sketch using vine charcoal on my canvas, made some adjustments in the composition and then began applying my 40 strokes 'with intention'.  I stepped back and really took a look at the set up and the painting.  I got busy mixing my colors using her limited palette.  I spent more time mixing and observing than I did painting.  I tried not to do any 'noodling', instead my strokes were decisive.  In less than two hours I finished the painting.

I was pleased with the results.

Hope you like it as well.
I thank Gina Brown for mentoring me in such a positive way.  If you can, take a workshop with her, you will not be disappointed!  She teaches all levels.  And buy one of her paintings, I did and I will alway cherish it!!

Here is a picture of her painting, I am now one of her collectors!!


2 comments:

  1. Lovely Karen! Thanks for all the posts about the workshop! I get so wrapped up in teaching that I sometimes forget to take pics (I even forgot to take a picture of my second demo, which Edna sent to me afterwards!) This is such a nice review of our time together, and is so very encouraging to me to keep trying to become a better teacher. Thank you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome Gina!! I really loved your teaching style and I am having fun implementing what I learned!!

    ReplyDelete